Welcome! I’m a physicist, science writer, public speaker, educator, and frequent wearer of jaunty hats. My deepest hope as a communicator is to express the love I have for the wonderful Universe we inhabit: its black holes, galaxies, and marvelous zoo of particles, with all the ways they interact. On the educational side, I teach and organize classes in astronomy and related topics in my role as director of CosmoAcademy. My science blog is Galileo’s Pendulum, and I have appeared in comics form as Pluto’s moon Nix.
In addition, I write about physics and astronomy for The Daily Beast, Ars Technica, Double X Science, Slate, Nautilus, NOVA “Nature of Reality”, BBC Future, Aeon Magazine, and other sites. My Writing Portfolio page contains a complete list of my publications, and a brief list of representative pieces is below.
- Email: MatthewFrancis@GalileosPendulum.org
- On Twitter: @DrMRFrancis
- On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Galileos-Pendulum
- Google+ profile
- Tumblr: http://bowlerhatscience.tumblr.com/
- LinkedIn profile
- My resume (PDF format)
- My curriculum vitae (PDF format)
I’m also available for interviews, podcasts, public speaking engagements, and other activities.
Representative writing samples
- Is this life real or a simulation? (feature article in Aeon)
- The Milky Way’s Place in the Spacious Heavens (news analysis in The Daily Beast)
- The quiet search for dark matter deep underground (feature article/personal travel narrative for Ars Technica)
- Do we live in a 10-dimensional hologram? (analysis in Slate)
- If you love a flower found on a star (blog post)