Welcome! I’m a physicist, science writer, public speaker, educator, and frequent wearer of jaunty hats. As a communicator, I hope to express the love I have for the wonderful Universe we inhabit: its black holes, galaxies, and marvelous zoo of particles, with all the ways they interact. I also teach and organize classes in astronomy and cosmology as director of CosmoAcademy. My science blog is Galileo’s Pendulum, and I have appeared in comics form as Pluto’s moon Nix.
My Writing Portfolio page contains a complete list of my publications, which include contributions to Slate, Ars Technica, The Daily Beast, Nautilus, Aeon, Symmetry, and many more. My latest articles are linked in the list in the right column.
- Email: MatthewFrancis@GalileosPendulum.org
- On Twitter: @DrMRFrancis
- On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Galileos-Pendulum
- Google+ profile
- Tumblr: http://bowlerhatscience.tumblr.com/
- LinkedIn profile
- My resume (PDF format)
- My curriculum vitae (PDF format)
I’m also available for interviews, podcasts, public speaking engagements, and other activities.
Representative writing samples
- Is this life real or a simulation? (feature article in Aeon)
- The Milky Way’s Place in the Spacious Heavens (news analysis in The Daily Beast)
- The quiet search for dark matter deep underground (feature article/personal travel narrative for Ars Technica)
- Do we live in a 10-dimensional hologram? (analysis in Slate)
- If you love a flower found on a star (blog post)